Info session: slide deck
Program registration is closed
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Team Asha has long standing and extremely successful running, triathlon and biking programs in the Silicon Valley. We piloted a new mountaineering program in 2019 and given the enthusiasm and positive response we are expanding the program in 2022. This year we have two exciting targets -Mt. Shasta and Rae Lakes Backpacking
Unleash the adventure seeker inside you, push your boundaries and achieve something extraordinary.
Strength and Endurance Workouts
Progressively challenging weekend hikes aimed at building endurance required for summiting a 14-er and for doing challenging multi day backpacking. Strength and endurance training workouts.
Workshops and Info Sessions
Sessions on everything from equipment and nutrition to navigation and backpacking.
The program is completely driven by volunteers who are passionate about the cause of Asha for Education. All our coords volunteer their time to make the program successful.
Support A great cause
Team Asha athletes raise funds for Asha for Education, Silicon Valley chapter, which helps support education initiatives for underprivileged children in India.
Mt. Shasta: Mt. Shasta is a potentially active volcano at the Southern edge of the Cascade Range in California. At 14,179 feet it is the fifth-highest peak in the state. The standard avalanche gulch route is a great beginner non glaciated mountaineering route. With over 7000 ft elevation gain, climbing Mt. Shasta requires very good fitness level and basic mountaineering skills. Team Asha will provide all the required training. We will be partnering with a professional guiding company for this summit attempt.
Trip duration: 2-3 days
Rae Lakes: Backpacking the Rae Lakes is one of the premier and most popular backpacking trips in the high sierra. The trail starts at Onion valley campground and includes a great deal of elevation gain (over 7000ft), traverses beautiful lakes and joins the PCT/JMT trail. For those people who are not yet into mountaineering, this trail has it all; stunning views, waterfalls, high altitude, beautiful canyons and passes. Most importantly, wilderness navigation skills and a guaranteed memorable experience with our own Asha volunteers, mentors, coaches and fellow hikers.
Trip duration: 3-4 days
Donors like you help us ensure that kids don’t just attend school and they actually learn. We support our project partners in India who have diverse education needs – it could be a supplementary school, school with special needs, vocational training classes or digital education.To give a brief idea of some of our projects:
- Deenabandhu Mobile Science Van: School goes to your doorstep!
- BeT helps secure a home for an orphan girl child in Kashmir
To learn more about our projects and locations, please visit http://sv.ashanet.org/projects/.
Asha for Education is a 100% transparent and volunteer driven organization. Every single $ you raise is dispersed to our projects. All the coaches train athletes for no cost and in fact many of them fundraise just like any other athlete enrolled in our program.
In 2019, our Team Asha athletes raised ~600K. Asha for Education Silicon Valley chapter dispersed ~500K to 24 projects impacting the lives of 30,000+ children in India. Check out our 2019 annual report here.
- Start your fundraising early – this helps in reaching out to more people and raise way more than your minimum target.
- Most of the profit companies in the Bay Area do company matching. All your donations can be doubled by applying for company match. Check here if your company has a donation matching program.
- Every single hour you volunteer for ANY NGO can be used towards your fundraising through ‘volunteer hour grants’.
- Another great way to fundraise is to organize a lunch sale at your workplace or in your friends circle. You also get a chance to explain about various projects Asha supports. Read this article to see how a Alumni raised funds.
- Lose your inhibitions – you are asking people to donate for a great cause. It’s important to explain why you are training through Team Asha and how proud your donors should be because they are helping every child in leading a better life!
- If you are artsy & crafty, this will be an amazing way to show your talent. You can ask people to donate towards your FR for every item you sell.
- General donations to Asha for Education by the athlete in the same fiscal year can be accounted towards FR target. (donations to fundraising campaigns such as Work An Hour, Support A Child etc and events will not be considered).
- Tips from our Asha alumni.
Be sure to attend our fundraising clinic to learn more!
Info session & Signup Sheet Open
Feb 12, 2022 (Tentatively)
March 12, 2022
First Open Hike
March 5th, 2022
Target climb discussions
Rae Lakes Backpacking