Rohini is a junior at Dougherty Valley High School in San Ramon, CA. She was born in Dearborn, Michigan and spent two years growing up in India when she was 5 years old. The experience of growing up in India with grandparents and extended family has helped Rohini develop a strong connection with Indian culture and heritage. She had many opportunities to visit an orphanage for children and be part of providing some meaningful support to underprivileged kids. That experience had an indelible impression on Rohini and made her realize how fortunate some of us are compared to many and she was determined to raise awareness to help the needy children.
In 2015, she started teaming up with Asha for Education to raise awareness and funds for underprivileged children’s education in India. She trained with Team Asha and completed two Half Marathons (Two Cities and Berkeley) in 2016 and San Francisco Half Marathon in July 2017 to raise awareness and funds to support children’s education.
In 2017, Rohini founded Little Taare , a non-profit organization with a focus to provide advancements in children’s education, protect their basic human rights, and enrich their human experience with lasting changes in their lives. Rohini is partnering with other established non-profit organizations to advance Little Taare’s mission.
Rohini first showed her interest in Indian classical dance and Carnatic music at age 5. Her formal training in Bollywood and folk dance started at age 6. Fascinated by the grace and poise of Bharatanatyam, she decided to focus on this art form at age 8, and continued her training in Bharatanatyam with Guru Smt. Radhika Adhikari at TaalSur Dance Academy. Guru Smt. Radhika Adhikari has truly inspired Rohini to develop a passion for Bharatanatyam. In June 2016, at the age of 14, Rohini had completed her Bharatanatyam Arangetram.
Rohini wants to put her dance art to good use by teaching the Indian traditional dance art to young kids and adults. In summer 2017, she started offering Bharatanatyam classes, holding dance productions and organizing fundraisers for Little Taare. She was able to raise $950 from teaching dance classes to support Little Taare and Asha for Education.
In November 2017, Rohini spearheaded a major fundraising event ‘Expressions of Art’ – featuring dance, art, and music – by teaming up with TaalSur Dance Academy and Sai Art Studios. The goal was to raise awareness and funds to support underprivileged children’s education in India through Asha for Education and support American Red Cross in their effort to help victims of Northern California wildfires. The event had an overwhelming response and support from local community, many friends and families. Honorable Consulate General of India in San Francisco, Mr. Venkatesan Ashok had graced the occasion as guest of honor and helped inspire many young children to participate and support community events. Collectively, Little Taare had raised over $9,000 to support Asha for Education and American Red Cross.
Rohini has participated in many performances at various cultural and fundraising events in the San Francisco Bay Area. Apart from dancing, Rohini is a part of the Dougherty Valley Choir, plays golf, enjoys singing Carnatic music, and likes to spend time with family and friends. Rohini wants to continue her passion for social causes along with her studies. Little Taare and its initiatives are very dear to her.
- During her Bharatanatyam Arangetram in 2016, Rohini requested friends and family to contribute to Asha for Education in lieu of bringing any gifts for her. A total of $3,158 was raised to support 14 underprivileged children’s education in India for a year.
- In 2017, she raised $950 for kids’ education through her efforts by teaching Bharatanatyam and semi-classical dance to young kids, and adults.
- In November 2017, raised over $9,000 for Little Taare’s fundraising event to support Asha for Education and American Red Cross.
- Joined hands with her father’s organization, Brown & Toland Physicians and American Heart Association (AHA) and participated in AHA Heart Walk for the last two years and helped raised awareness for the better management of health.
- Since 2016, she has been part of American Red Cross (ARC) Leadership Development Program and involved in volunteer work to help promote the ARC mission to help people in distress and need.